Head House Manager
One of the greatest assets at the South Orange Performing Arts Center is the Board of Governors who serve as ambassadors for SOPAC in the community, and lend their expertise and guidance to many aspects of the organization. These dedicated volunteers donate their time and talents to guiding and leading SOPAC. They foster a culture of serving SOPAC’s patrons and the community with arts experiences of the highest quality while adhering to SOPAC’s mission.
Douglas Newman, Chair
Marc Chalom, Vice-Chair
Randall E. Haase, Treasurer
Matt Epstein, Secretary
James Davis, III, Esq.
Dr. Paul Desjardins
Jordan Greenberger, Esq
Josianne Manasse, OD
Rev. Dr. Terry Richardson
Sheena Collum, South Orange Village President
Steve Schnall, South Orange Village Trustee Liaison
Melissa Hodge, South Orange Downtown Liaison
The SOPAC volunteer program offers a variety of opportunities for you to get involved, whether you prefer office work, ushering or contributing your professional expertise. As a SOPAC volunteer, you will be a valued member of a team of like-minded people who also enjoy giving back to their community.
If you are interested in becoming a SOPAC volunteer, please complete and submit the form below. Volunteers are an integral part of SOPAC’s success!
Cultural experiences. Learn about the live performing arts events that SOPAC presents. The program provides an unparalleled opportunity to participate in many aspects of a non-profit arts organization.
Flexible hours. During the presenting season, there are a wide variety of evening and weekend events at which you can work. There are occasional opportunities in the administrative offices.
Complimentary tickets. The hours you volunteer will accumulate into points that can be redeemed for complimentary tickets to a SOPAC-presented event of your choosing.
Community and fellowship. Throughout the year, SOPAC hosts various volunteer community and appreciation events including catered parties, movie nights and Bingo tournaments.
Front-of-House: Ushers and front-of-house volunteers are the public face of SOPAC and there are many positions to fill. In this position, you will gain experience in customer relations and help to create a warm, welcoming environment for SOPAC patrons. Duties may include ticket taking, handing out programs, or assisting patrons to their seats.
Administrative: An administrative volunteer can gain an understanding of many areas of theatre management. Activities vary based on the time of year. General tasks include database management, mail merges, filing and reception responsibilities.
Sign up to Volunteer
South Orange Performing Arts Center (SOPAC) is a multidisciplinary arts center that presents innovative artistic and educational cultural experiences through music, theater, dance, comedy and family performances. The mission of SOPAC is to enrich individual lives, and to engage and serve those in our community and beyond, through arts experiences that inspire and transform.
SOPAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). SOPAC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Current Employment Opportunities
CLICK BELOW FOR THE COMPLETE POSITION DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Reports to: Executive Director
Manages: Marketing Manager, Marketing Associate, Membership and Marketing Associate, contractors (EG graphic designers, videographers, photographers, etc.)
Key working relationships: SOPAC management team including Director of Audience Services; Board-chartered and ad hoc committees comprised of passionate volunteers; and others.
Salary range: $80,000 to $90,000 annual, with benefits
South Orange Performing Arts Center, recognized time and again as one of New Jersey’s favorite performing arts centers, seeks a Director of Marketing to join a growing team committed to presenting richly diverse transformational arts experiences in the creatively kinetic South Orange-Maplewood regional community in Northern New Jersey.
The Director of Marketing (DOM) is a member of SOPAC’s senior management team reporting to the Executive Director and is responsible for the leadership and management of the center’s marketing and communications functions and for driving success to all earned revenue and external communications categories. This position is charged with the effective promotion and communication of SOPAC’s core mission and artistic programming, including developing the messaging, marketing, advertising, digital strategies, social media, collateral materials, and public relations strategies and campaigns for all SOPAC performances and programs.
SOPAC is at a key inflection point, led by newly appointed Executive Director Stephen Beaudoin – an honors alum of Boston’s New England Conservatory of Music and the University of Virginia Darden School of Business – and its next Director of Marketing will have an incredible opportunity to fundamentally shape the organization for many years to come.
- At least five years of increasingly responsible and successful employment in marketing and/or sales, preferably in the performing arts, though we welcome candidates with this level of experience from other industries.
- Effective operational and strategic management skills, and demonstrated experience managing, mentoring, and motivating a staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Experience working in the development, execution, and management of creative, successful marketing initiatives for organizations.
- A strong knowledge of and commitment to inclusive and equitable audience development, including an especially cultivating customer/audience loyalty and retention.
- In-depth knowledge of market dynamics, pricing, data analytics, media buying, market segmentation, target marketing strategies, brand equity development, and planning.
- Experience in the design and implementation of effective 21st century digital marketing strategies and tactics
- Experience in database and market research projects, including analysis and interpretation of data for ongoing improvement of marketing plans.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and implementing balanced budgets.
- A bachelor’s degree or certifications in marketing, sales, data analytics, and/or communications
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of ticketing software, as well as Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- A strong innovative and creative vision with a genuine interest in trying new methods and approaches.
- Excellent communication, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, Agility, with the ability to effectively prioritize
- Exceptional communication skills and understanding of graphic designs
- A true passion for the performing and fine arts
A review of prospective candidates will commence immediately, continuing until the position is filled. Interested and qualified individuals, and recommendations of same, are encouraged to submit their credentials as soon as possible for full consideration to the person listed below.
Please submit the following documents in the order shown as one PDF file, saved as:
Candidate First Name_Candidate Last Name_SOPAC-Marketing-Director.pdf
- Cover letter (maximum one page) describing your interest and alignment with this opportunity;
- Résumé or CV (maximum three pages);
- Three professional references, including name, email, phone, and one sentence that describes the nature of the relationship (these will only be utilized for candidates that advance to the finalist round)
Anticipated start date: Early to mid-November
Salary Range: $80,000 to $90,000. SOPAC provides a competitive benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage, PTO and other time off, and a 403b retirement plan with employer matching contribution.
Applications or recommendations for qualified candidates will be accepted via email only to:
Chief Financial Officer
SOPAC is seeking an experienced part-time Front of House Associate to join our Audience Services team. This position will require equal expertise and responsibilities as both a house manager and a box office representative. Chosen candidate will be crossed trained in both areas and will alternate their responsibilities when scheduled to work at performances. Prospective candidates should have excellent customer services skills, be well organized, a self-starter, a team player, punctual, detail oriented and easily adaptable. Knowledge of Patron Manager, or any other Customer Relations Manager (CRM)/ ticketing software a plus, but not required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise front of house operations including ushers, ticket takers and program distribution for all ticketed performances.
- Oversee ticket collection, patron services, seating, and front of house emergencies.
- Coordinate with production staff to manage the timely opening and closing of the house and intermission.
- Manage and assign volunteer ushers at performances.
- Assure preparation and use of all public spaces for access.
- Maintain all rules and regulations – including those related to audience safety and compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Submit performance reports for each event and accident/incident reports as needed; report any patron or facility issues to the appropriate SOPAC staff for follow-up.
Box Office Representative
- Process tickets sales, memberships, gift cards, and donations.
- Inform patrons about upcoming performances, providing descriptions, dates, times, and additional information to help them with their purchasing decisions.
- Assist patrons with venue information, including directions, local dining, parking, special needs accessibility, etc.
- Required evening and weekend availability on a regular basis.
- Experience in theatrical front of house and box office operations or customer service and hospitality.
- Excellent customer service and superior patron relations skills.
- Must always maintain a professional appearance and style.
- Ability to multi-task and problem-solve in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong team building and management skills; must be responsible, mature, and able to maintain calm control in stressful or emergency situations.
- Experience with Patron Manager, or another ticketing software a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications. (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Knowledge of performing arts.
- Experience with monetary transactions.
Director of Audience Services
Part-time, hourly employment at $15/hour. Minimum of 10 hours a week
Please submit résumé, cover letter, and three professional references via e-mail.
E-mail: boxoffice@SOPACnow.org with subject line “Front of House Associate Search”
No phone calls please. We thank you for your interest in working for SOPAC. Once submitted, your résumé will be reviewed, and if your background fits our needs, you will be contacted for an interview.